Friday, February 3, 2012

Delhi day 1

Today is a mellow day. I didn't go to sleep until 2am and b/c of that I slept until 12:30!  Kind of messed up the day a bit. Went to the lobby and ran into Norma from my Costa Rica trip and a friend of hers. Will probably meet up with them for some dinner.  For now, I think I'll just relax and find a throw away phone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finding a phone was quite an experience. The concierge at the hotel sent me to a place nearby. It was smaller than my bathroom. While everyone speaks English here it is still hard to understand what folks are saying due to their accent. I was a bit confused for a while, but eventually figured it out.  They wanted to take my passport and photocopy it, but I refused unless I went with them. They said I should *trust* him, but there was no way I was letting it out of my sight!  So, I had another interesting experience going to the copy closet/hole in the wall. Eventually it all worked out , I got my phone and got in touch with Nidhi, Anj's cousin. I will meet up with her at the end of the trip when I return to Delhi.

One place Nidhi suggested I go today was to Dilli Haat, a shopping bazaar/market. I took a cab, during rush hour, so it took a good 45 min just to get there. The market was overwhelming. Not overwhelming with people so much as overwhelming with stalls selling so many pashminas. You should be so proud of me, I didn't buy a thing! Figured I have 2 weeks to buy stuff and if it is something I really want I can go back at the end of the trip when I am back in Delhi.

I'm beat. It's now 12:30 and I need to get some sleep.  My roommate just arrived and we've been yapping away.  Tomorrow I meet up with the rest of the group for our tour of new and old Delhi.


No comments: