Saturday, July 18, 2009

Guess what I did last night . . .

I went to see Paul McCartney last night at the new Citifield stadium (fka Shea Stadium)!


The Beatles were the first concert to be performed at Shea so it was only fitting that Paul "christen" the new stadium. Actually, I hadn't even planned to go, let alone even knew about it, but my friend sent me an email on Thursday that her SIL couldn't make it and would I like to go. Yeah, like I hesitated. Yesterday was my compressed day anyway so it wasn't too hard to hop on a train meet her in midtown.

It was steamy hot out and everyone new the skies were going to open up at some point during the show. We lucked out b/c our seats (by choice) were under an overhang and when the skies finally did open up, we were bone dry! No ponchos or umbrellas needed, thank you!

The show was great. He played a few things I wasn't familiar with, probably newer solo stuff, but a lot of great old stuff too.

Here's a list of some of the songs he played that I can remember. I should have written the set list down like we did at dead shows, but I wasn't thinking. I did find a site this morning that did post the whole set list, so I'm just going to write down the ones I knew and loved:

Drive My Car
Jet
Got to Get You into My Life
Long and Winding Road
Band On The Run
Let it Be
Hey Jude
I've Got a Feeling
Something
Paperback Writer
A Day in the Life/Give Peace A Chance
Back in the USSR
Eleanor Rigby
Live and Let Die

He did 2 encores. I can't remember where it was in the encore (or which one), but he talked about how almost a year ago to the day, he was asked to help close out the final concert at Shea w/ Billy Joel and that he felt it was only fitting that he should extend that same offer and so . . . Billy Joel came out and performed I Saw Her Standing Therewith Paul. It was great! The rest of the encore rocked as well. I hate it when folks end on a mellow beat and was glad that Hey Jude and Let it Be (as awesome as they are) were earlier in the show.

Encores:
I Saw Her Standing There
Helter Skelter
Get Back
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band

I'm sure I'm missing some of the Beatles stuff, but I can't recall, and of course I have no idea what some of the solo songs were toward the beginning.

I'm having issues uploading a video or two of the show at the moment, so that should be added later.

No comments: