Sunday, February 7, 2010

WOW

I don't know what else to say. I have lived in many snowy places -- Vermont, Colorado, Massachusetts -- but never have I seen a snowstorm like this. In less than 24 hours we were pounded with 28.5, that's right TWENTY-EIGHT POINT FIVE, inches of snow. Better yet, to have a season that has TWO storms like this is crazy. And to top that off, the weather folks are calling for another storm in a couple of days!

Of course, I had to go and buy a house this past summer which has on-street parking. Gone are the comfy days of covered parking in a garage. When I moved to Philly, I gave away my awesome, extendable snow scraper since I didn't need to remove snow from my car. Those days are over. This was my car a few hours before the snow stopped falling.



Yes, those are my windshield wipers sticking up thru the snow. Would you like to see a close up?



This is what it looked like when I opened the door and thought about digging myself out. I think I waited a couple more hours to make sure the snow had stopped.



Instead, I thought I'd stand in the comfort of my warm home and get creative. Here are some picture of my mailbox (and street) and front door.



The snow was piling up on (and out of) the fence out back.




In between rounds of digging myself and my car out, I wandered around the neighborhood. Many streets had been "plowed" but there were still others that hadn't been touched. It was so calm and quiet out. I would have broken out my cross-country skis, but I had waited too long and the plows had already been thru.




Just like every storm, we woke up this morning to a beautiful clear blue sky. It was cold, but not too cold. I threw on my layers and headed outside to explore and walk on Kelly Drive. Kids were out in force sledding down the hill across from the Azalea Garden. I was surprised at how many runners were out. I remember my training days I having a bitch of a time not sliding in my running shoes. Very daring.

While I was out, I couldn't help but take a few more pictures. Snow and water are just too pretty together to not capture it. These pictures weren't taken w/ my new camera, but trusty point and shoot.











2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful Robin!

Magda

Unknown said...

That snow is amazing! I live in Tennessee and have seen more snow this year than all the 38 years combined that we have lived here. Well, except for March, 1993 when we got 20 inches. We were snowed in for 1 week without electricity. That was not fun!