Thursday, October 10, 2013

Day 17 - Last day in South Africa :-(

Today was my last day in South Africa. It's hard to believe my trip is over. I had been looking forward to it for so long, and now its over in a blink of an eye. What a great time I had! I saw so many sights and did so many things. It definitely whet my appetite to come back again, whether it be South Africa or another safari in Kenya and Tanzania. 

This morning i hung out with my host's ex-wife and she showed me a bunch if her crafts. Then my host picked me up and took me out for breakfast. I still had a few things to buy that I hadn't had a chance to get yet, so we stopped at a mall first. We found some of the stuff, but not all. 

Afterwards, we drive down to the Apartheid Museum. The museum is wonderful. If you ever get the chance to go to joburg, I highly recommend it. However you really need to allocate enough time. We got there and had about 2.5 hours to spend and barely a rat he'd the surface. We were directed to a special exhibit on Mandela first, where we spent a great deal of time, not realizing that there was the whole permanent exhibit that we hadn't touched yet. By the time we got to the permanent exhibit, we had to rush thru. It was a great experience going thru the museum with someone who lived thru apartheid and remembered much of what we saw. He provides some great commentary and insight into what I was seeing. He was also upset we didn't have enough time to get thru the exhibit. I told him the next time I come to town we'll leave enough time. 

I really had a great time in joburg. Even tho I only met my host when he picked me up at the airport, I felt like I had known him for much longer. It was wonderful that he was willing to open his home (well, his ex's) and hospitality to me without ever having met me. His brother lives in Philadelphia so I hope to extend him the same courtesy when he comes to Philly. 

Overall, what a great trip! Now to figure out where to go next!!!!!  Until then, adios!

No comments: