Sunday, April 5, 2009

Ushering in spring

Today was just a beautiful day. I knew I had to get outside and enjoy it. I headed out for a bike ride along the river, taking advantage of the closed-off West River Drive for the first time since the fall. The high today was supposed to be in the 60s but it was about 51 when I set out around 10 this morning. The headwind was so cold and strong that I actually turned around to go home. But, when I turned around, it was warm w/ the wind behind and I decided to tough it out, knowing that the wind would disappear after Sweet Briar.

As you can see, it was a picture perfect day. The cherry blossoms had started to bloom and I kept trying to take pictures of the trees w/ my cell phone. Bad idea. The cell phone pictures suck. So, after riding 10 miles, I still felt pretty good and decided to run upstairs, get my camera, and head back out for another 10 miles. I stopped a bunch on my second run, taking pictures of all of the blossoms. Below are just a few (?) that were my favorite.


These are my favorite cherry blossom trees. They look like weeping willows and the blossoms look like they are falling from the sky. This picture (above) was taken up near the Falls Bridge.
As you can see, there was a regatta on the river today. Below are some great photos of the blossoms w/ the honey bees. Please indulge me as I display some of my photos.





After my ride, I met Lisa in Rittenhouse Square to soak up more sun, take in the local flavor, and work on some knitting. As you can see, we weren't the only ones out. Rittenhouse was packed today. We had a hard time finding a bench. Of course, the pictures don't reflect the crowds, but that's ok.


We had a blast watching all of the dogs go by. A number of us were entertained by a scrawny squirrel that was selectively stalking a pile of peanuts on the ground and burying them all over the square. I wish I had a picture of him. He was very entertaining.
Aside from frolicking outside, I accomplished absolutely nothing today. No food shopping. No cleaning. No nothing. And it feels great! A perfect Sunday!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Nice day! Much healthier than my Sunday - bowling and nachos at Dave & Busters - next time, I'm going to try to convince the boys that we need a great outdoors adventure!

Anonymous said...

oh look! rittenhouse square looks so different in springtime! i only see it in dead of winter for a few days over christmas every year, yet it is one of my most favorite places to come every time we are in philly!

i'm seriously trying to get nat to drive out there this summer since he's got the mini now!